This Year's Top Ten

In no particular order, here are ten of my favorite things this past year.

1) Teaching Geometry:  I have never taught Geometry before.  I decided it was time that I saw/taught the entire curriculum.  I've taught everything in my school district from 7th grade pre-algebra to Calculus, but not Geometry.  I really enjoyed it.  However, I am going back to pre-calculus next year.

2) Standards-Based Assessment:  This is my second year using standards-based grading and I love it more and more every day.  I love that students get a second chance.  I love that students don't have to wait to fail the course to relearn a topic, relearn it right now, don't wait.

3) My Colleagues:  I swear that I work with the best department in the state.  Outsiders would come to do work with our department are always amazed at our closeness and willingness to work together.  Sadly, one of my colleagues is resigning to stay at home with her daughter.  Luckily, her replacement fits right in.

4) Clickers:  I know, I know....I had the clickers last year.  But, I like them even more this year.  We upgraded to the clickers where the students can answer more than just multiple choice questions.  Here's to hoping I have more time next year to create more clicker lessons.

5) Blogging:  I have stolen more than you know for the blogosphere.  Every week I'm here on my computer reading blogs to see what great ideas I can steal next.

6) Creating my own blog:  I enjoy having a voice here.  Feel free to steal from me, as I have probably stolen from you.

7) Bring your child to work:  I am quiet and shy, my husband wants to vomit at the thought of speaking in front of people, but our son.  Oh no, not him.  I brought him to work with me and he took over.  He told me how things were going to be.  He had so much confidence it was unreal.  I think I have a future leader on my hands.

8) Having a student teacher:  I told myself I was never going to have another student-teacher.  The previous student-teacher was so incredibly great that I knew she could never be topped.  When I found out that the local college was having difficulty finding placement for student-teachers I couldn't say no. What a great experience I had being a co-op.  What are the odds that the two student teachers that I have ever had would turn out to be so incredible?  Do I dare try a third?

9) NCTM Conference:  Speaking of stealing ideas, the NCTM conference is a place where people encourage this and volunteer to hand deliver their ideas into your lap.  All you have to do is show up to their presentation.  I cannot wait for the next one.

10) All the feedback I have received from the blog.  Oh wait, you haven't left a comment yet.  Please do, I could use some feedback.  How am I doing?

Comments

  1. I just found your blog today because someone had pinned your bazinga game on pinterest. KEEP BLOGGING!!! One of my goals as a math teacher is to incorporate more interesting ideas into my lessons. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment